1.Rocca Federiciana (Prato della Rocca)
For its strategic position, San Miniato became part of the Swabian imperial defensive system since the 11th century. The tower destroyed during the Second world war and built again on its former site 1958 represents the last vestige of Frederick's keep ,heart of a complex fortress. From the top of the tower, one can observe the peculiar ribbon-like structure of the town, which develops along the main street on the ridge, where the exhibiting centres of the System of Museums are located.
2.Museo Diocesano d'Arte Sacra (Piazza del Duomo)
The Museum, adjacent the Cathedral, was set up in 1966.The collection-recently displayed according to a new arrangement counts about a fifty ob objects coming from the town's and the diocese's churches. We mention: the North African pottery bowls (12th century),coming from the Cathedral faÇade; the thirteenth-century paintings from the church of STS. Jacopo and Lucia; and the Redeemer's bust, attributed to Verrocchio's studio.
3. Arciconfraternita di Misericordia (Palazzo Roffia)
The collection of the Archconfraternity of Mercy is located in a large hall at the first floor in Palazzo Roffia. It gathers together devotional objects related to the history of the confraternity ,tools connected with its members' activity, committed to relieve the distressed, and a set of extraordinary works of art coming from religious buildings. Among these last ones, note the dramatic wooden group of the Deposition from the Cross (first half if the 12th century)
4.Via Angelica (Chiesa Santi Jacopo e Lucia)
The Via Angelica is one of the ancient connecting routes between the heart of the town and the country. Three chapels open on to it ,among which the Oratory of Saint Urban is particularly interesting: underneath the seventeen-century decoration showing scenes from the way of the Cross remarkable fragments of former frescoes (second half of the 12th century) have come to the surface together with a rare picture of Saint Urban Pope holding the image of Saint Peter.
5.Palazzo Comunale Oratorio del Loretino (Via Vittime del Duomo)
The Palazzo Comunale was erected at the end of the 13th century as the residence for the Dodici Difensori del Popolo-the twelve defenders of the people. Over the centuries the building was frequently restructured and extended. Noteworthy is the Sala del Consiglio, now known as "Sala delle Sette Virtù", which preserves noble coats of arms and a fresco of the Virgin Mary attributed to Cenni di Francesco di Ser Cenni (1393) In 1928the canon Galli Angelini painted other frescos in what is today the Sala Consiliare, recounting in symbolic terms the founding elements of the town's history. At the ground floor of the Palazzo Comunale ,the Oratorio del Loretino was built as a chapel for the use of the town's magistrates. This became an important place of worship when, from 1399 onwards, it preserved the venerated image of the SS. Crocefisso which in 1718 was moved to the sanctuary devoted to it. It was replaced with the image of the Madonna di Loreto from which the current name of the church derives. A cycle of frescos, painted at the beginning of the 15th century, decorates the walls and vaulted ceiling of the church whereas a sumptuous 16th tabernacle with tables painted by Francesco Lanfranchi, known as Lo Spillo, brother of Andrea del Sarto, occupies the back wall of the church.
6.Conservatorio di Santa Chiara (Via Roma)
The ancient Nunnery of Santa Chiara was founded in the thirteenth century and had been occupied by a community of Clares up till Grand Duke Peter Leopold turn it in a convent school for young ladies in 1785.The Nunnery preserves an important collection of works of art,among which we mwntion the touching panting representing Christ and Magdalene an early work of Ludovico Cardi called Cigoli and the embroidered works manufactured by the Nuns of the Community
7. Accademia degli Euteleti (Palazzo Migliorati)
The Academy has its seat in the ancient Palazzo Migliorati since 1984.The former academy of science and letters know as Affidaty Academy was founded in San Miniato during the 17th century.In 1748 it was founded again; its name became Rinati Academy and its emule was a sun rising behind the top of a hill, whose motto said "Sol oritur sed non occidit"(a sun which rises but does not set). In 1822 the name was changed again in the present de nomination. A new emblem was chosen as well: a horse galloping victoriously towards its goal .Among other important pieces, the Academy keeps the Funeral Mask of Napoleon, whose family boasted local extraction.
8. Area Archeologica di San Genesio (Strada Statale 67,angolo via di Capocavallo)
During Medieval times the village of San Genesio was an important urban centre of the Lower Valdarno area,situated at the intersection of the road that joins Florence to Pisa and the Via Francigena. It is possible visiting the archaeological site and the exhibition of the various finds dating from the IV century B.C. until the 1248 A.D. when the village of San Genesio was destroyed by the citizens of San Miniato. Here are also displayed the findings from the Etruscan necropolis of Fonte Vivo.
+39 348 7187908